Friday 23 January 2009

Someone sent me this article about whether or not yoga should be a competitive sport - they are trying to get it introduced in to the olympics! Anyway, thought some of you might be interested to have a look. To put it into context - Patanjali the ancient sage who thousands of years ago wrote the yoga sutras, the first written texts about the study of yoga, refers to the eight limbs of yoga, one of which is yamas (which would equate to moral codes). One of the yamas is non-competitiveness.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7844691.stm


The video is worth a watch simply for the grace, control and strength on display - awesome!

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jo x

1 comment:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

I couldn't get the link to work? Not sure why, I checked it and it appears to be right! I saw this earlier today.

I personally don't have a problem with people making yoga competitive. We live in a competitive era where many want to be the best! They gain satisfaction in excelling beyond expectation. Being better than everyone else. Having judges validate their worth.

That said I don't think that they are truly participating in yoga in it's truest form. A more personal and internal sense of peace, control, awareness and personal achievement that transcends that of a medal or competition. I wonder if they will be judged on their meditation ability and chants? How much they achieve on a spiritual level? How close they are to inner peace? Of course not. That would be impossible to tell. So although I am only touching the yoga iceberg and haven't read the rule book :-) I say let them get on with their competitive stuff. For me they are rather missing the point though!

Rx