Friday 6 February 2009

Silence is Golden

I was up at Mugdock park yesterday walking the dog. I do this every week and usually fire round the park, thinking about what I have to do next(normally a tesco shop!) without thinking too much about my surroundings. Shen Bowers, the Gi Gong teacher I went to a few weeks ago, was talking about how many of us are so busy worrying about what is coming next or the things that we have to or want to do in the future, that we don't live in the present, and therefore do not appreciate it enough. This really struck a chord with me as it is something I am very guilty of, other than when I am doing my yoga practice. So, with Shen's words echoing in my head, I stopped and took in my surroundings. Mugdock was absolutely beautiful in the snow and I was shocked at how much I have in the past taken its natural beauty for granted. It was so lovely I decided to sit down for a while and just do nothing. What struck me next was the silence. It was fantastic, almost deafening silence interspersed with birdsong. I wish I could have bagged it and brought it to class. It is so rare to hear silence like that. It didn't take too long, maybe 3 or 4 minutes before the silence was broken by a plane overhead, and the spell was broken, but it was quite a magical few minutes and I am glad I took the opportunity to appreciate the here and now and hope I can try to do so more often.

I am attending a Level 2 Seasonal Flow teacher training this weekend with Julie Hanson and Sue Woodd focusing on the Spring Season. Look forward to sharing it with you in class when Spring arrives.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Jo x

No comments: